Friday, April 11, 2014

To My Daughters (Whom I Love...)

I'm struggling here.
Seems like I'm not a part of your world much anymore.  
Taking a little getting use to.  Didn't use to be like that.

Use to be you would plop the whole of your world right into my lap.  
We would turn page after page after page.

We would talk about all the places you'd go...
and not forgetting the soap...
and the perils of giving a mouse a cookie... 
We would say "goodnight, Moon" and I would say I'll love you forever.

But lately your world is encapsulated in a 2.31x4.5 inch battery powered box.
Where there is...
no filter
no grace
no forgiveness
and no common sense

Don't let the world define you in 140 characters or less.
You are so much more than that.

Now let's talk about boys.
I don't like them.
Any of them.

I watch how they preen and strut in public and social media like peacocks.
I don't like peacocks.

I read how they think women are objects.

And I want to punch them.
And then I want to punch their parents.

To them you're a conquest...
A chance to let everybody think how 'bad' they are.

I know how 'bad' I am.

You are not a conquest.
You are a princess.  
A priceless, beautiful, fragile vessel of potential and promise.
You are my baby.
My daughter.

And because of that you may not like me for awhile...
And that's ok.

See...
Boys just have to win your heart.
You're heart is stupid (relax, all of ours are)
Boys have to earn my trust.
That won't be easy.

How can I say all of this?
I was once one of them.
I have the acid washed jeans, mixtape, and picture of me with a mullet to prove it.

I grew out of it.
Some of them might as well.
Maybe.  
Someday.

But until that happens, I want you to know I don't like them.
More importantly, I want them to know I don't like them. 

BTW - to any possible suitors for my daughters
Remember Liam Neeson's character in Taken?  
I thought he was soft.

And another thing...
I know you have been hurt.  I am so sorry.  
You've grown stronger.
You're healing.
I'm proud of you.

People have hurt you because they covet your shine.  
Wasn't it Taylor who sang "people throw rocks at things that shine"?
So keep shining.

And pray for your dad.  
When you hurt, I hurt and want to hurt those who've hurt you.
Evidently that's frowned upon.
God's grace is infinite.
Mine is finite.
Pray that I always use His, because with some of these folks, mine is below fumes.

I know this is long...
Do what you want to do.
Be who God created you to be.
But do and be with all you have and are.

Don't settle.
Push yourself.
Forgive yourself.
Dare yourself to be more than you've ever imagined.

You are a Mount Vesuvius of potential, strength, character, talent, faith, compassion, grace, mercy, love, beauty, and awesomeness...
...and I stand in wonder of every moment you announce your presence to the world.

You will make mistakes and dumb choices.  
You so take after your dad
(The looks and brains you got from mom - the propensity for stubbornness, impulsiveness, and downright stupidity - that's all me)

And you're going to be ok.

You are so much more than awesome.
You're my daughter.
And whether I'm invited into your world or watch from the edges...

I'll love you forever.
I'll like you for always.
I'll be here.


Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment