Sunday, March 10, 2013

Highlight Reel

My high school alma mater's boys basketball team is on quite a journey.  As one of 4 teams in their class remaining, they play next week for a spot in the Indiana state championship game.
I won't even try to explain that to you non-Hoosiers out there.

Trust me...
It's a big deal.

They are an incredibly talented group of young men who have worked hard, as individuals, and as a team.  They never quit.
They have been a joy to watch this season.

But for all the jaw-dropping, ankle-breaking, make you hum the SportsCenter theme song in your head moments I've witnessed, my favorite one actually happens long before the opening tip.

In the midst of hip-hop music, raucous cheer blocks, and bitter rivalries, one young man drops to one knee and bows his head.

I'm sure he visualizes the game ahead, playing out mentally his role.
I'm sure he talks to himself...
You've worked hard...
You belong here... 

And I'm sure he prays to the God he has committed to give glory to.

Whether the shots fall for him...or don't
Whether the calls go his way...or not
Whether the final buzzer brings victory...or defeat

He prays and thanks God for this moment
For this opportunity
For the chance to follow his dream...the one this God has given him

I get chills every time I see this moment
In all things give Him glory
In all things give Him praise
And in all things...pray that God gives you the opportunity to make much of Him

I've been in some battles of late
And I have been lax in my prayers
I needed a high school ball player to remind me what matters most, what must come before anything...
To be in God's presence - before the battle rages

Thanks No. 32 for reminding me...
Write your story...
What I've seen so far has already made my highlight reel

1 comment:

  1. Excellent Jon!! We never know how He is going to continue to reveal Himself and His plan for us, to us. Thanks for sharing.
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete