Thursday, May 1, 2014

Lessons From My Grandpa

Guest post today from my best friend, Kim Porter, 
on the anniversary of her Grandfather's homecoming.


One year ago today my Grandpa, James Barnes, went home at the age of 92.  He was a proud  veteran of WWII, a navy man, and a member of the Greatest Generation.  As his granddaughter I was privileged to hear his stories, jokes and wisdom.  I am reminded today that his wisdom came from his experiences in life.  Actually anyone of us who have parents and grandparents from the Greatest Generation have been influenced by the same  experiences.  

My grandfather left an impression on us that we will not soon forget. His worldview was shaped by his experiences and he sought to teach us as well.  The following poem written by my sister not only speaks of the lessons that he taught us but I am sure you may have been taught as well.

GRANDPA-Less

Today I realized I am GRANDPA-Less.
But there's More NOT Less Grandpa living in me.
He left me a legacy with actions much greater than his words.

Always do what's right.
Stay committed and cherish your wife.
Love each and every day.
Don't keep your emotions at bay.

Give what you can.
But never spend more than you earn.
Take excellent care of what you got and it will last much longer than you thought.
Take the time to laugh and play.
But work hard and do what the Bible does say.
Never skip church even on a rainy day.
Always arrive early...5 minutes early is 10 minutes too late.

Whatever you do...do it at your best.
Then take time for a good night's rest.
Eat for enjoyment never counting the cost.
For these are moments we have together that shouldn't be lost.
End each time together with a kiss...Grandpa, we know you liked them on the lips!

Speak your mind and stand by your convictions.
Love your country and pray for its direction.

Take time for family...it's the only one you'll have.
Make each person feel special.  I know Grandpa you have.
Be proud of who you are and who you are to become.
Always look heavenward to the Holy One.
Tell your story...because time goes by fast...remember it's your story that through 
future generations that will forever last!

Yes, today, I say good-bye to my last grandpa.  I AM GRANDPA-Less...
But, Grandpa, I guarantee your legacy will live on because there's no doubt in my mind that there's MORE not less Grandpa living in me.
Thank you Grandpa for not leaving me GRANDPA-Less.
                                                                                                                 
Lisa Fogg

As I read this poem I am reminded to listen to the stories of others and to be sure to tell my story to my children.  

God Bless
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment