Friday, December 20, 2013

The Year In Review

You don't know me.
I hold no real position of authority.
I have no leverage, influence, or any great wisdom that warrants you paying me any mind.

I am nobody.

With that said...
Here's what I've learned from this past year…

We really know how to hate the other guy.
We are willing to accept behavior that we would punish our children for displaying 
(well, some parents would - that's a whole other post).
We have no problem… 
…defaming
…accusing
…lying
…or refusing to listen first to anybody.

And the really cool thing is now we can do all of that on social media!!!
We get to act like a bunch of 7th graders who've been mainlining RedBull for days!
(And I realize I’ve just offended half of the “church’ folk for my flippant drug reference)

We can urge people to vote their body parts...
We can describe people as body parts…
We can describe which body parts we find the most useful for deriving pleasure from
(That should take care of offending the other half of the ‘church’ crowd)

And everybody now has cornered the market on...
what rights we have
what we’re entitled to
the nature and character of God
the frailty and dysfunction of religion
and what is truth, justice, and the American way

Ready…?

God does not hate gay people…
or Republicans
or Democrats
or hillbillies
or hipsters
or Rachel Maddow
or Rush Limbaugh

or even the Miami Heat 

God. hates. sin.

Buckle up, Buttercup
Therein lies the dilemma…

We are all sinners.
All of us.  ALL OF US.

The mistake we make is that we've convinced ourselves that those 'sins' are all owned by 'the other guy'
We never address our sin - we just blame the other guy.
And nothing gets done.  And nothing gets better.  AND NOTHING CHANGES.

The once shining city on a hill is reduced to a smoldering ruin of what we thought once was, what we had hoped it is, and what we prayed (if  we even do that) it might become

Peace on earth and mercy mild.  God and sinners reconciled
See…
Jesus is not the ‘reason for the season’
Our sin is…

That babe in a manger was the Creator of the Universe extending us a lifeline to save us from ourselves…

We’re all sinners.  We all need Jesus.

I don't think government is the answer
I believe all life is sacred
I believe that God is who He says He is or He is nothing at all
And I believe there is a God like that and its not me (or you)
I believe that those who call upon that God's name are to love others because He loved us first

I'm not sure where that fits into politics or pop culture
I'm pretty sure you'll go ahead and label me
I'm pretty sure most have already done that

I know I run the risk of being 'de-friended'...
Even possibly 'de-familied'...
But I don't care

Because the clearest thing this past year has taught me is this...

If we don't start loving one another like God calls us…
If we don’t start giving the same grace that Christ has given us…

We don’t have a hope in hell

And it has to start with me
You don't know me
I am nobody
I am a sinner
I have been saved by grace

Because of that, I need to show that same grace and love
I am nobody…but I love you anyway 


Merry Christmas

3 comments:

  1. Jon, very well said!! ....all but one thing....you WERE a sinner that has been saved by Grace. Once saved we are sinners no more!! lol
    Don and I will be praying for you and your lovely family!
    Many blessings in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete